Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Atonement


There once was a man on a straight and narrow path,
He wasn’t the first, and wouldn’t be the last,

He followed it straight, he followed it long,
He had had no troubles, not muvh had gone wrong,

He then looked side to side, instead of ahead,
He drifted off the path, not going where it lead,

His focus was lost, he began walking anew,
Forgetting the path, forgetting what he came to do,

His attention aloof, his mind drawn away,
He lost sense of time, sense of the passing day,

The darkness came slowly, but surely it came,
Making it hard to see, and walk all the same,

He stepped and he missed, the ground became space,
He fell through the air, he fell to his face,

He hit the ground hard, face down with a thud,
He lay there unconscious, face down in the mud,

When he came to, he sat up right to see,
What had happened, where could he now be,

He stood in a pit, and looked ‘round about,
He was far too short to jump or climb out,

Alone wasn’t worth trying, would he ever get back?
Out of the pit, back on the right track?

His thoughts running wild, he knew not what to say,
He knew not what to think, he knew only to pray,

He fell to his knees, and though he felt bad,
He called for his Father, he called for his dad,

Then came the light, and above him it shone,
There stood a man, he was no longer alone,

He wanted to yell, “Help,” but before he could,
The man jumped right in, next to where he still stood,

“Father has sent me,” he told me with a smile,

“Now come, make haste, we’ve only a short while,”

He gave me a boost he gave me a prop,
So I could climb out, so I could reach the top,

Finally redeemed, I was ready to go,
But what about the man, he stood still below,

He was stuck there now, stuck down in the trench,

As He saw my sad face, he began to reply,
“Don’t worry ‘bout me, I’ll be just fine,”

I wondered how, and longed to ask why,
But again He spoke first, and this was his reply,

“Father has sent me, to help you come back,
He knew that you would try, but he knew you would lack,

I am your brother, and I came to show you the light,
I am here to help you, I am Jesus Christ,”

Tears filled my eyes, as I felt his warm love,
He did that for me, for His Father above,

He told me to continue, and follow the path,
And not to wander away or drift in the grass,

I did as he said and began the new day,
I marched down the path, in a new kind of way,

I remembered my purpose, I understood the plan,
I remembered Jesus Christ, when he gave me his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment